Saturday, January 3, 2009

2008 in Review

I saw this on a blog I read (Heather Drive) and thought it would be a great way to reflect on the year that was.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?

Got married! Rode in a helicopter, dog sledding on a glacier, and did a zip line course, went on a cruise.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Almost! My resolution was to get out of credit card debt--but our wedding and my brother's wedding kept me off course a little--by the end of January I will be out though.

I will make more promises for 2009--to save enough to have a down payment for a house.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yep, my friend Rebecca had a beautiful little boy at the end of November. She and I survived coaching middle school basketball together! I know she is going to be a wonderful mom!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No thankfully. One of my students lost her mother unexpectedly in October.

5. What countries did you visit?

Canada.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

a puppy

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

June 14--our wedding day, November 4--election day(I believe it is a landmark for our country), December 18--my brother's wedding and mini family adventure in Vegas

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Becoming a wife and getting a job in a new school district

9. What was your biggest failure?

cliche but I can't really think of any.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had sinus surgery in May and feel so much better now!!

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Matching necklaces for all the important women in my life.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
my sister--she took care of me after my sinus surgery--she would even let me get up for a glass of water--and planned an amazing shower and bachlorette party and a surprise slide show for our reception--and now that we are adults has become one of my best friends!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Large companies who my taxes now go to support

14. Where did most of your money go?

Paying off debt and parts of our wedding

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Our wedding, our family cruise, starting a new school, my brother's wedding

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?

The One that I Love by David Gray

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter?
Happier and a little fatter(darn cruise!)

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Talked with Friends live instead of online

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Shop!

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Kevin and I surprised my family by showing up in CA--we had planned on just being together here in the Junction.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?

Deeper in love with my husband!

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Morning Joe! Love the conversations they have with a wide variety of guests from the whole political spectrum.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Not really

24. What was the best book you read?

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and the Twilight series(I came to it late)

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

That my students think I am hip because I still listen to some of the same stuff.

26. What did you want and get?
A teaching job in Grand Junction

27. What did you want and not get?

A puppy

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

Twilight

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I was in CA for spring break and I was 32!

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Not having to stress about finding a new teaching job--but it all worked out in the end!

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

Ann Taylor Loft, jewel tones, and flattering lines and sometimes being too dressed up for my new school.

32. What kept you sane?
My husband and the gym

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Bobbi Brown--if I could have her do my makeup every day!!


34. What political issue stirred you the most?

The bailout and talking about the whole election process with my students.

35. Who did you miss?

My colleagues from Henry--I don't miss the hard work but I miss our lunches!


36. Who was the best new person you met?

Ginger!!

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.

That family and friends are the most important things to hold onto. My life was so blessed this year by friends old and new and really appreciating my family, especially my siblings as adults!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Awwww.. thanks Amy! Although I did have fun taking care of you and planning all those parties! I am glad that you appreciated all the effort I put into them!