Monday, September 29, 2008
And believe it or not they are low in points!! The egg casserole is 3 points a serving and the pie is 5 points per serving(not bad for a dessert). This egg casserole comes from a recipe from my Grandmom's church.
Egg Casserole Serves 12
whole green chilies( 2 cans usually work--we had fresh roasted ones, a benefit of living in Western CO)
1 can evaporated milk
1 bag reduced fat shredded cheese
Line a 9 by 13 pan with the opened lengthwise chilies. Beat the eggs and evaporated milk and pour over chilies. Dump in the bag of cheese and bake covered at 375 for 45 minutes.
Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
1 cup fat free milk
1 pkg vanilla flavor instant pudding
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups fat free frozen whipped topping(thawed)
1 reduced fat graham cracker pie crust
2 medium bananas
chocolate ice cream topping--for garnish
Mix milk, pudding mix, and vanilla with a wire whisk. Fold in the whipped topping. Pour 1/3 of the mix into the bottom of the crust. Slice bananas and create a layer of bananas, then pour rest of pudding mix. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Drizzle with chocolate sauce when serving.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
I have been taking a Scrapbooking 101 class at a local store here in the Junction. I was the only person who signed up so it was like a personalized lesson every time. I don't have much done, but here are some not so great photos of what I have done so far. I also made a little digital books on MyPublisher for my wonderful bridesmaids that turned out awesome and a book on Shutterfly of our Alaska trip that came out so cute!
Thursday, September 25, 2008
A big hit here in the Junction!
One thing I miss about southern California is the great fish tacos at Rubio's, Snapper Jacks, Fresh Catch or any number of little seafood places near my parent's home. This recipe captured that taste so well. It's from Rachael Ray's Magazine--love her!!
You will need:
1 small head cabbage(we used cole slaw mix)
Juice of 6 limes (about 1/2 cup)
2 cups sour cream
16 6 inch tortillas
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 TBSP paprika
1 TBSP ground cumin
1 TSP chili powder
1 pound skirt steak, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch strips
1 pound red snapper fillets, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch strips(we used orange roughy)
1. In a large bowl mix the cabbage with 1/2 the lime juice. In a small bowl whisk the sour cream and the remaining lime juice--cover and refrigerate.
2. Preheat the over to 250 degrees. Spread the tortillas out on cookie sheets, cover with foil, and warm in the over for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, mix together garlic powder, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and 2 TBSP salt. Add the steak, tossing to coat.
4. In large skillet, heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil over medium heat until rippling. Add the steak and cook, turning occasionally, until browned. Transfer to a plate. Add 2 TBSP oil to skillet. Season the fish lightly with salt and pepper. Cook, turning once, until golden.
5. Spread guacamole on tortillas, top with cabbage, then the meat and fish. Serve with salsa, lime-sour cream, and guacamole.
Definitely on the make again list
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Magazine Picture that tempted us.
Rachael ray's magazine had this recipe in the No Recipe Zone and we decided to try it. Well I am not sure what I did wrong but I couldn't get my pizza dough to flatten out to make a flatbread they puffed up so we ate them as mini-calzones. Quite tasty and worth a try.
Here is what I did:
1. Took a can of pizza dough and divided it into 4 parts. Put them on a cookie sheet drizzled with oil. Flattened them as much as we could and then layered cheese, diced jalapeno, and corn kernels on them--sealed them up and sprinkled them with paprika.
2. Put some sausages onto our George Foreman to grill.
3. Put the pizza dough into the oven to bake(following directions on the package.
--In the recipe she puts them on a grill but we live in an apartment so no grill for us. They are supposed to turn out as flatbreads that you then wrap around sliced sausage, portobello mushrooms, and tomatoes and serve with a yogurt sauce. Kevin doesn't like tomatoes and I don't like mushrooms so we didn't even follow that part.
Here is the link to the whole recipe. Grilled Corn and Sausage Flatbread Sandwiches. Next time I will put the sausage inside and just make mini calzones!