Sunday, October 5, 2008
So we finally saw "fall" temperatures here in the Junction. Its was above 90 every day since we moved here in June and then its been above 80 since mid September. Today it was only 60 and rainy--a perfect fall day to try out some recipes. Pumpkin Sausage Lasagna from Rachael Ray's show and a family favorite Pumpkin Bars.
Lasagna--estimated to be 4-5 points per serving
You Will Need:
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1 1/2 pounds bulk sweet Italian Sausage (I did about 1 1/4 pound low fatturkey and 1/4 pound pork)
1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped into small pieces
1 medium onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated
salt and pepper
3 TBSP butter
3 TBSP flour
3 cups milk (I used 1%)
1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
nutmeg ( a few dashes)
1 box oven ready lasagna noodles
1 1/4 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (i just used grated Parmesan cheese)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat oil in large saute pan. Add the sausage, breaking up the meat and cook until golden brown. Add eggplant, onion, and garlic. Cook 7-8 minutes, until tender, then season with salt and pepper.
3. While veggies are cooking, in a medium sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk the milk into roux, breaking up any clumps. Bring the mixture to a bubble and add the pumpkin and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper, reduce the heat and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
4. Spread 1 cup of sauce into bottom of a 13 by 9 pan. Layer 3 noodles over the sauce, top them with about a cup of meat, a cup of sauce, a handful of cheese. Repeat these layers 2 times, topping the casserole with a layer of noodles. Spoon the remaining sauce over the noodles and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake until sauce is bubblibg, about 45 minutes. For the last 10 minutes of baking uncover. Once out of the oven, allow to sit a few minutes before serving.
You will need
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 cup oil
1 can of pure pumpkin
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 3 ounce package of cream cheese room temperature
1/2 cup margarine room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Beat eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin well. Mix remaining ingredients together and stir into pumpkin mix. Spread in an ungreased 10 by 15 pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
3. Let cool and then frost. To make frosting--blend all ingredients together using a hand mixer.