Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What I have learned about being a mom



It is Elle's Birthday week so I have a lot of fun and sentimental posts planned.

One year ago today I was trying to rest and relax in preparation for Elle to arrive but we moved into a new apartment the week before so there was so much to do.

Which is the first thing I learned--moving the weeks before your baby arrives is not ideal but I am glad we didn't wait because I imagine moving with a newborn would be worse.

2. I was not able to really decorate the nursery of my dreams(and in fact most of the crafts and decorations I made are still not hung) but the reality is we don't spend much time in her room at all. She sleeps in there and we change her and get her dressed. It isn't big enough to have a rocker in there so I am glad we didn't really spend a lot of money or time in that room. As she gets older, I think she will appreciate a decorated room a lot more.

3. I am a working, formula feeding, disposable diaper using mom. And proud of my choices because they are right for my family. But as a mom it seems every choice you make opens you up to a lot of criticism and side looks when other moms don't agree. You will answer a million questions about your baby and what they are doing and not doing and how much they weigh. And if you are a mom, you know what I mean and will get a chuckle out of this video...


4. Baby advice books are 100% right and 100% wrong depending on your kiddo and you and your family. The only 1 I used was The Happiest Baby on the Block. In the end, you decide what works for you and what doesn't. So look at a bunch but don't feel bad if it doesn't work or don't agree.

5. Your life will change but it is a good change. We do a lot of the same things we used to do prebaby we just do them with Elle and with a lot more equipment. I think our ability to eat out in restaurants may be ending as she is now mobile and not a fan of staying in the high chair. We have traveled in the car and flown several times. We have hiked. That being said I do miss being able to read on the plane or airport and going to the movies.

6. Your marriage/relationship will change. In good ways, but it is an adjustment and you have to make your marriage a priority too. It is easy to get lost when you are so focused on taking care of a baby and suffering from lack of sleep. Days when you just hope for a shower mean romance is on the back burner, but you have to be there as a spouse not just a parent.

7. Having a baby can be isolating. I spend a lot of time in my apartment with her, especially in the beginning but even now when it is 100 degrees and a park play date is just not going to happen. You have to ask for help; you will be amazed at what people will do for you--cook, clean, hold the baby so you can shower or sleep, babysit so you can get a pedicure, let you cry and tell you it will be alright.

8. Baby stuff takes over your house. Elle doesn't even have that many toys but our apartment looks like 1 big toystore/playground. And some days the most interesting toys are tags and empty boxes.

9. You will get excited and cheer some pretty unusual things; swallowing food, poopy diapers, sitting up, "words" they say, taking a nap.

10. You can't imagine how much you will love being a mom.


No comments: