Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Moms Worth Mentioning

Let me introduce you to my friend and colleague Allison. Allison just started what she calls her therapy blog about her "new world of raising a handicapped child". Her posts make you think about the world we live in and how she and her family will navigate it all.

And yes I stole your facebook profile pic!

Allison was one of the first people I talked to when it felt like my world was crashing down with Elle. She was born so small and then kept losing weight and then we found out I wasn't really producing milk. And I felt like a failure. I happened to be on Facebook in a rare moment of being alone as a new mom--dad and baby both napping. And up popped Allison on my chat. I don't remember what we talked about or the advice she gave me. I remember sitting there crying and thinking woe is me, when she said "I never thought my second baby would have any problems after having a "normal" first." And it snapped me right back. I had known things were going on with her second, but I really had no idea. We talked some more and I left with a lighter heart.

She is just an amazing woman. She is a mom that loves with all her heart and has accepted this angel and just plans on running with it. I know she has hard days and days when she probably just cries. I wish you all had a chance to meet her in person. I fall apart over sniffles and ear infections, and she faces a much bigger challenge with grace. She asks why, she talks about her feelings after Lucy was born and the challenge to just be happy. Check out her blog, I know you will admire Allison as much as I do.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I couln't think of a greater mom worth mentioning.... she comes to school every day and is so positive!